Sunday, September 19, 2010

KA20de. Not 24.

I recently heard about this motor that was released in a few vehicles in Japan. I believe they came in the Nissan Largo and the Caravan. Maybe a couple others. I've been doing a lot of research on the engine but there is not much info to be had. Especially because the topic always turns into a KA vs. SR war. Not to mention the engine was never released stateside and there have been few, if any, imported here. Anyways the discussion of using a KA20 crank in a KA24 to produce an engine that will rev like an SR while maintaining the rigidity of the cast iron block of the KA engines got me wondering. Many people think this idea is dumb. "Just get and SR," they say. Well I would rather do my homework about the engine than take someone's advice that knows nothing about it. Who knows. Maybe those people can be saved by showing them the advantages, if any, of this unicorn of a motor. Until then, I'll just keep studying. Here's an example of a Nissan Caravan that this motor came in...this one in particular doesn't have the KA20DE in it though. Actually, I don't even think it was offered in this generation. I just thought this one looked upper decker

No comments: